A Wide Selection
CREATIVE WRITING COURSES OFFERED BY ANNE KELSEY
Dare To Write offers a wide variety of educational courses on the subject of writing. Anne is comfortable teaching youngsters as well as seniors. She takes her program to almost any venue. Contact Anne if you are interested in taking or hosting a writing course today!
College Essay Tutoring
Write a knockout college essay before those applications dealines arrive! This course is exclusively for high school students. Each student will brainstorm a unique concept, learn commonsense rules for essay writing, incorporate their own personal philosophy into the essay, and possibly…have a little fun in the process. During the last class, Anne will share tips and tricks for mastering the admissions interview.
• Analyze successful college essays
• Discover your unique essay concept through brainstorming exercises
• Craft an essay that incorporates your personal philosophy
• Evaluate the critical opening sentence, theme, and flow
• Proof & Polish
Have you ever thought of trying your hand at creative writing? In a writing class filled with creativity, laughter and fun, it’s easy to forget you are leaning critical skills such as character development, point-of-view, dialogue, theme, and more. “No red pens allowed” means you can focus on the creative process and have fun while leaning the craft of storytelling on paper.
No previous writing experience is required. Join us for a six-week journey into the art of creative writing. Topics will include: idea generation, character formation , plot structure, point of view, to name a few. Fun and unique exercises make learning full of laugher and fun. Try something new this Spring by joining a Dare to Write class with a friend.
Creative Writing II
This is a continuation of the previous Creative Writing class. We will delve into additional topics which include: adding memorable character attributes , the key to unexpected plot twists, insight into point of view, how to avoid sagging plotlines, etc. Each exercise is unique and designed to teach a specific topic. Each class is full of laughter and fun. Join us!
• Engaging classes that spark your creative imagination
• Innovative group exercises make learning fun
• “No red pens allowed” approach keeps the focus on creativity
• Tips & tricks provided each class to improve your skills
• Put “fear of the blank page” behind you forever
Father and daughter, mother and son, grandparent and grandchild. These are just a few of the family member combinations who have taken a Dare to Write class together. Different generations write from different perspectives. The stories we generate in class make for interesting and meaningful conversations. Sign up for a Dare to Write class with a family member and let the stories begin!
Everyone has a story. What’s yours? Capture unique stories and amusing incidents from your family members for future generations. This innovative workshop will help you navigate through your family history to preserve the treasured tales. Let a Dare to Write class help you tell your story.
Have you ever thought about capturing a bit of your family history for future generations? Memoir writing can be fun! Each week bring brand new creative exercises done as a group in class which teach the necessary skills to begin life writing. By the last session, each memoir participant will have a road map as well as six to twelve completed personal essays about their unique life experience.
Capture the unique life stories from your family tree by learning how to write short personal essays in a fun, group environment. This innovative workshop will give you a road map to navigate through your family history with ease. You will learn how to hone your writing skills in each essay down to their true essence. Everyone has a story that should be passed down to future generations. Let a Dare to Write class help you tell your story.
• Unique time lines exercises provide a wealth of story ideas
• “Flip book” method helps organize historic data
• Memory starter exercises (done as a group in class) make writing fun
• Learn how to tell a compelling life story
• Reveal your unique personal theme
Teen Creative Writing
This class is designed specifically for teens ten years and older. Can you write a six word short story? Create a new ending for a classic fairy tale? Invent a spine-tingling twist in the middle of a dark and stormy night adventure? Classes are innovative, instructional, and most of all, filled with fun and laughter. Registration is required. Grab a friend and join the the fun!
Home School Classes
Home class classes are engaging and allow students to “think outside the box” while learning techniques to improve their writing skills. Exercises allow students the freedom to write about topics of their choice while still learning important lessons. Multiple age groups allow for review of basics and experience reading their work aloud in addition to providing constructive feedback to their peers.
• Diverse writing topics available
• Custom curriculum developed
• Learn while having fun
• Original & unique exercises
• Multiple age groups encouraged
Assisted Living Facilities Programs
“Inklings” is an entertainment program for the residents of assisted living facilties. It’s all about FUN with exercises that not only engage the mind but help residents bond over shared experiences. Each session new exercises allow participants to share stories, play games, make up tall tales, remember the “good old days”, and use creative thinking while engaging in a social, fun atmosphere.
• Games, tall tales, puzzles, brain teasers, group poetry, life stories, and more!
• Stimulating and engaging activities
• Fun, laughter-filled classes
• Social interaction among residents
• Classes cater to all residents including blind, handicapped, and the hearing impaired
• All materials provided (fill-in-the-blank exercises, individual white-out boards, easy-grip pens)
*FREE* Writers Group Visit
A writing group can be invaluable to those who write for a career or who want to take their writing to the next level. But starting a writing group, or keeping a writing group running smoothly can be a difficult task. Learn how to start a group or how to keep your group on track.
• Review the elements of a successful group
• Time management tips
• How to add new members
• Positive, productive critique methods
• Eliminate negativity, defensive behavior, time hogs, and know-it-alls
Focus on the Short Story
Writing short stories can be one of the most satisfying of all the creative writing experiences. This class teaches the basic story concepts including plot, character, setting, theme and point of view. The course touches on several short story styles including the 6-word short story, flash fiction, and the short-short. Each participant will complete several short stories during the course and information will be provided about contests, competitions and publication.
• Required elements of a short story
• Learn to write tight
• Find out what contest judges look for in a short story
• Quirky characters revealed